At times, teachers may feel inundated with theories, methodologies, teaching strategies, etc.etc.etc.
But please know that you can decide on how you want to run your classroom, and how you want to apply your teaching strategies.
One bit of information that I always pass on to my student teachers and teachers with little experience, is that it’s important to learn from more experienced teachers by watching them teach and reading as much as they can about any teaching strategies they have written. After that they will be in a much better position to pick and choose the teaching methods that suit them them the best.
Here are my top “7 Essential Core Teaching Strategies” that have held true for me throughout my 33 years of teaching from K-6.
1. Classroom Management is the teaching strategy that I consider to be most important in creating an effective teaching environment to ensure that your lessons will run smoothly and each teaching day will be a success.
There are many facets to ensuring effective classroom management including assertive classroom discipline, classroom behavior management, verbal and non-verbal communication strategies, classroom rules and classroom time management. Learning the details behind these essential classroom management strategies is the first step to success.
2. Know your students well. You should have different expectations for each one of your students. It is imperative to create a genuine bond with them (by the way that works both ways).
3. Continually Encourage and Motivate. Have your students set their own goals, helping them to attain them and then strive for new ones.
4. Build an effective teacher student relationship by displaying a caring and compassionate attitude towards your students. Show that you’re interested in them as people and they will return the favour (in most cases). Be sure to build up their self worth by maintaining a positive disposition.
5. Maintaining a communication dialogue with parents is very important. You are responsible for and accountable to your students so you must be professional, ready to meet and discuss any situation with parents. In some cases this will require a fair bit of tact and diplomacy on your part. On the other hand parents must respect you and your efforts as well.
6. Teachers need to show accountability primarily towards their students. But they are also accountable to parents, their school and themselves to provide their best effort every day throughout the year.
7. Teaching is “the best profession ever” if you have a real passion for it. Show your love for what you do, have FUN with your students and you will all benefit and learn from your experiences.
Digest these teaching strategies, play around with them, and implement those that fit your style of teaching. I truly hope that following these strategies will help you out and will make your life a little easier.
Try These Strategies and Have Fun!